Menu

point of view (POV)

this point of view. We know the thoughts and feelings of this chara ]]>
Notice as you reread your scene:

• Are you, as the reader, privy to the thoughts of more than one character?
  • Can you look through more than one characters’ eyes?
  • Do you know the inner feelings of more than one character?
If the answer is yes, you have not successfully contained the point of view. Return to your writing with a different eye. Reread the scene, and mark each place you find a POV shift from one character to another. This will make your rewrite easier. There are many seasoned authors who write from multiple points-of-view successfully, but tackling a first manuscript with more than one POV is like trying to control a team of horses before you even learn to ride. I learned the hard way. You don’t have to! © Skye Blaine, 2015 ]]>

6 Responses to point of view (POV)

1. Anonymous February 2, 2015 at 7:54 pm #

< ![CDATA[ Concise and informative, Skye. I think you're on to something with keeping these tips short because of all the things so many of us are juggling these days. ]]>

2. Anonymous February 2, 2015 at 7:54 pm #

3. Laura McHale Holland February 2, 2015 at 7:54 pm #

Concise and informative, Skye. I think you’re on to something with keeping these tips short because of all the things so many of us are juggling these days.

4. Anonymous February 2, 2015 at 7:55 pm #

< ![CDATA[ Another tidbit well done, Skye. I like that you're sharing your expertise in this way. ]]>

5. Anonymous February 2, 2015 at 7:55 pm #

6. Laura McHale Holland February 2, 2015 at 7:55 pm #

Another tidbit well done, Skye. I like that you’re sharing your expertise in this way.